Former political organizers with a penchant for great food, husband-and-wife team Ross Richardson and Ann Laurence opened The Feed Store in September, 1977. They continue to nurture their business, with son Daniel Laurence-Richardson now serving as General Manager.
In 1989, the restaurant moved into its “new” circa 1865 building 5 doors west of the original store, and is now located at the entrance to the Old State Capitol, just 2 blocks south of the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. The building is listed on the National Historic Register.
The Feed Store was founded with the mission of serving high-quality real food, and the restaurant has held true to this discipline for 42 years.
All of the soups are made from scratch in our kitchen, as are all of our desserts. We have always used only real dairy in our soups and desserts. We’ve always believed that superb soup comes from the finest ingredients available – fresh veggies, unsalted butter, extra virgin olive oil, etc.
Sandwiches are constructed from house-made chicken salad and tuna salads, choice roast beef, natural breast of turkey, top-shelf ham, real deli-style beef pastrami, and natural cheeses. We use Vie de France all-butter croissants, and the French baguettes are fresh-baked each morning.